Have I ever mentioned my obsession for lavender? I am a lavender-o-holic (yes I just made up that word). I grow lavender in my garden, I only use lavender body wash, lotion, shampoo & conditioner, perfume and hand sanitizer. Every night before bed it is a ritual of mine to spray lavender essential oil all over my pillow and room. Then, I rub lavender balm over my temples and under my nose. Yes, I am a lavender freak. I absolutely love the relaxing, clean, fresh aroma it has.
Oh, and did I mention lavender is my favorite color?! It is definitely my strange addiction!
Basically, I love anything lavender.
Which brought me to this recipe…
I found a pretty basic Lavender Pound Cake recipe, but like always I put my own twist on it. I decided I wanted to infuse English Breakfast Tea into it- perfect before bed snack (or anytime snack if you ask me 🙂 ). Try it out- maybe even making your own twist by infusing your favorite tea blend or using a different herb besides lavender, you cannot go wrong with Pound Cake!!
3/4 Cup: Milk
2 T: Fresh Lavender Flowers
2 Each: Bags of Tea
1 Cup: All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup: Cake Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons: Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon: Salt
6 Tablespoons: Butter, soft
1/2 Cup: Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup: Brown Sugar
2 Each: Eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon: Vanilla Paste (optional)
2 teaspoons: Vanilla Extract
1) Heat milk, lavender and tea (with the tea bags, cut them open and release the granules into the milk) in a small sauce pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Take off the heat and let steep until cool. Once it is cooled off, strain the mixture reserving the milk mixture and discarding the lavender and some of the tea granules.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.
3) In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light in color and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time and mix well. Add in vanilla.
4) Add flour mixture in three additions alternating with three additions of the milk mixture. Be sure to scrape down the bowl and mix until evenly incorporated.
5) Grease a loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 inch pan) and pour the batter in.
6) Bake in a 325 degree oven for 50-55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
While it is cooling, make the glaze. It is a very simple recipe.
1 Cup: Powdered Sugar
1/4 Cup: Milk
1 teaspoon: Vanilla Paste (optional-you can also use vanilla extract)
Mix everything together and pour over the cooled pound cake. Refrigerate for about five minutes, just so the glaze sets.
It is that simple! Try out this recipe and tell me what kind of twist you put on it!