You will need:
1 Package: Puff Pastry *Preferably all butter puff pastry. I had some leftover in the freezer that I made. Email me if you would like my quick recipe!*
1/2 teaspoon: Vanilla Paste/Extract
1/2 teaspoon: Ground Ginger
1/3 Cup: Sugar
1/2 a lemon, juiced
1 Recipe of Almond Cream (below):
1/2 Cup: Almond Flour
1/4 Cup: Unsalted Butter, soft
1/4 Cup: Sugar
1 Large Egg
2 teaspoons: All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon: Vanilla Extract
1) In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until soft and light. Add in the almond flour until incorporated. Make sure to scrape down the bowl.
2) Beat in the egg, flour and vanilla. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the apples:
1) Peel and slice the apples and put into a bowl. Combine with the vanilla, ground ginger, sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
1) Roll out the puff pastry on a floured, clean surface into a circle about 12 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch in thickness. Transfer to a sheet pan covered with non-stick paper.
3) Now, fold over the uncovered dough over the fruit, pressing each fold onto each other. The center of the crostata will be exposed showing off the apples. I like to brush a little egg wash on the edges of the dough and sprinkle some coarse sugar on top, this is optional though.
5) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Let it cool and serve warm or at room temperature.